Friday, July 16, 2010
Back to "normal"????
It seems like one of the most unfair things about losing Owen, is that our day to day lives haven't changed. Everything is the same it was before, except for us. We are sad and broken, but nothing else is different. We make plans, we see movies, we are still "childless". It feels like my entire world should be ripped apart and nothing should be recognizable, because how could the world that I live in stay in tact when such an unthinkable thing has happened? My son is dead. I cry over his pictures and I try to remember what it feels like to touch him, but he is not here. Why has the world not gone out of its orbit? But it hasn't... "life," or some twisted version of life, goes on... every day it just keeps going. People have asked me if I'm ready to get back to "normal"... meaning going back to work as the school year starts soon, and I just don't know how to answer that question. I don't believe there will ever be a normalcy about my life again. Normal would be for me to be exhausted from middle of the night feedings, not exhausted because I can't sleep because I'm thinking about my lost baby. I guess my new version of normal is this...ready to cry at any moment, envying other people with their children, and treasuring my too-short time with my son. I believe I just have to learn how to live without being a whole person. A part of me will always be missing and there is no way to fix it. I know in my heart that I am meant to be a mother to a child who can stay with me, and I therefore know that someday I will be, but I just know that Owen has taken a piece of my heart and my soul to Heaven with him, and I won't get it back until I see him again. There is no "normal" about this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No, there isn't anything normal about it.
ReplyDeletePeople tell me a lot, that at least we have another child to come home to. Like that makes my dead child's life less important?
I'm sorry things are the way they were before Owen. I hate the way things are now too, because it's the same. And it's not supposed to be.
The woman who runs our grief support group at the local hospital gave us a book to read to Sadie called "Something Happened" and the book is exactly like your post. Something great, beautiful, wonderful was SUPPOSED to happen. Instead, something bad happened.
Thank you for sharing this post with everyone Whittney. Another view into a broken hearat.
Normal would be for you to have your beautiful son in your arms. I would have my wonderful nephew to give hugs and kisses to. I love your little man, your little angel.
ReplyDelete